Pages

Saturday, August 1, 2026

Teach your kiddos without them knowing

Homeschooling is not a 9-5 job. It's not an 8:30-3:30 job. Whatever timing public and private schools have... that isn't homeschooling. 

Homeschooling is learning at home... 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. 

Kids are learning all the time. That's why I'm intentional about putting educational items and growth in front of them. (That includes the screens they interact with!) 

My favorite times of learning are the times where the kids don't realize what is happening. Take, for example, my recent purchase at our local homeschool store. I bought a game called Don't Bust 100 (affiliate link). I knew it would have educational purposes, but what I didn't realize until we played it... it's actually fun! 

I have purchased educational games that are clearly educational and it's not as fun so they don't get played all the time. This particular game helps kiddos practice math facts, but it has enough other cards in the mix so it is a fun game that has luck and strategy mixed in with learning math. 

That's what I'm talking about. 

It's also like Bible reading at the end of the night. My youngest is working on reading and she doesn't always love our reading program during the day, so I take full advantage of any opportunity where she wants to read to me. Tonight, she read Psalm 27... and I just let her do it. It was tempting to speed up the process. For example, she could read a verse and then I read the rest, but any time I listen to kids read and they are going slow, I consider it a chance to work on my patience.

Yes - even adults are learning and practicing life skills all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment