Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

the beauty in every season

So I had another pouting moment this morning about the fact that I don't have a baby on the way like I was supposed to. It wasn't too terribly long of a pout; I decided it shouldn't be. Within an hour or so, I then remembered one of my favorite conversations ever. I had it with my friend who had been married around 6-7 years at the time. I was single. It was a friendly debate over who had it better: marrieds or singles. It went something like this...

Amy: Well, I have someone I can come home to.
Laura: I can do whatever I want whenever I want without checking in with anyone.
Amy: I have two incomes.
Laura: I don't have to get someone's okay before splurging on something.

It went on for at least another 2-3 rounds. I don't remember the other arguments, but here are a few possible other ones...
Amy: I have multiple Christmas dinners.
Laura: I don't have to buy presents for multiple families.
Amy: I get a tax break.
Laura: No one else is spending my money

You get the idea. Every stage of life has its benefits. Today I've been remembering why my life is so beautiful right now. I don't have kids (here on earth) but I do have an amazing husband and we can spend more quality time together without the extra time element of kids.

If you have kids right now, the beauty in your life is the smile on their faces and the joy each one brings you. The beauty in my life right now is that I'm not up in the night with a sleepless child or dealing with tantrums in the middle of Target or spending money on kids' needs.

I know, every parent is thinking, "It's worth it!" ... and it is! I thoroughly believe you. But it's also good for everyone in the various stages of life to remember there is beauty in every "season."

Singles - you are in a good place in life right now. Enjoy it!
Marrieds - you are in a good place in life right now. Enjoy it!
Marrieds w/kids - you are in a good place in life right now. Enjoy it!
Empty Nesters - you are in a good place in life right now. Enjoy it!

You will always be able to find an argument as to why another stage in life is better, but I think that's pretty foolish. If you're only wishing for what you don't have, you'll never enjoy what you do have.

Today has been my reminder that although Erik and I thought we'd be heading into the kid phase in a few months, we're not, and that's okay. That means we have another chunk of time to enjoy being just married. And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment