Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

a good pick-me-up

So if you ever need a good pick-me-up, look at Psalm 121.

1I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
 2My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

Heh heh... those are just the first two verses! It dawned on me how crazy the second verse is. My help comes from God, the creator of the universe. That's like saying, "I'm protected by the Secret Service" or "My help comes from the President, the leader of the nation that I live in." Those don't even give it justice, but do you realize how everyone would knew that I was well taken care of if I said, "Bill Gates is helping me get through college" or "The chief of police is specifically watching over my house to make sure nothing happens to my stuff while we are on vacation"???

That's what this verse says, but to the nth degree beyond that. My help comes from the Lord. Oh by the way, He made heaven and earth. It's important to remember that David was writing this potentially in the middle of the difficult times and what was he doing with this verse? He was reminding himself of exactly who was watching over him. As it says in one of his stories earlier in the Bible, David encouraged himself in the Lord.

What an encouragement to remember how big our God is in relation to the world we live in!

Again, in today's terms, it would be like: "My dad is the President of the United States." "Bill Gates is my best friend." "My best friend is Randy Jackson, and he's going to get me on American Idol." :-)

And, no, none of the things I mentioned are true, but what I know is true is that my help comes from the Lord, and oh yeah, He made the heavens and the earth.

It's all good. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment