Pages

Sunday, August 20, 2017

parenting hack for bedtime routine

I love books. Always been that way and always will be that way...

... but even if that weren't the case, I think I would still follow my next thought...

Read chapter books to your children as they fall asleep. For me, this is different from bedtime stories. We read bedtime stories together out in the hallway, then we pray and read Scripture or a Bible story. Then they go to bed and lay in their dark room and I read them part of a chapter book from the hallway.

My mom did this for me when I was younger and I want my kids to have the same type of memories. Plus, I think it really helps them settle down when they are listening to a book with the light off. It gives them a chance to focus their thoughts in one area and calm down from the day they've had. In fact, one night a few weeks ago, we didn't read books for some reason, and Brayden had the toughest time going to sleep... he's always taken a bit longer to go to sleep, but we haven't had those problems as much (at least that I can remember) since having books to listen to while lying in bed.

We just did this with Nate the Great books, just finished Charlotte's Web, and are currently going through Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books. Those, in particular, have provided a nice incentive for the boys to go to sleep.

Find a series or grab some classic books and read them to your kids!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! I have been wanting to start chapter books with my little one but reading from hall is perfect since I could nurse sister to sleep while reading!

    ReplyDelete