Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

learn to be courageous

Sometimes courage takes time.

Take, for example, my little 1.5 year old.

She doesn't like her winter boots. Not sure why. As far as I know, they fit her fine, but maybe I'm missing something. When we go out, I put her boots on away from the pink cowboy boots she wants to wear instead. (Not a smart move when you are walking in snow and on ice!)

When I set her down in the snow, she barely lets her feet touch and just wants to be held.

Sometimes I feel like that too... I don't want to move. I just want to be.

Yesterday, the boys went outside to play ice hockey with our neighbors, and Brielle and I just sat on a chair and watched the boys play for the first part of the 45 minutes we were there... but then, toward the end, she started to get down and stand in the snow. Then, she moved around a bit right around next to me. Eventually, she tried out the ice (with me right behind). Her boots moved ever so slowly. Eventually she made it across the ice rink and her steps slowly become bigger and bigger as she became more and more comfortable.

I think that's the way it is with us. We don't have to be courageous on the first step. We can sit and think about the possibilities. We can sit and think through what we would like to do. Eventually, we can try it, move forward, and test out the ice. Slowly, but surely, as we let God help us be courageous, He will help us move faster and faster in the right direction until we are both moving forward... and doing it with a smile on our face.

"Be strong. Take courage. Don’t be intimidated. Don’t give them a second thought because God, your God, is striding ahead of you. He’s right there with you. He won’t let you down; he won’t leave you.
 -Deuteronomy 31:6 Msg.

So today, be courageous. It doesn't need to be a big step. It may just be a little one, or maybe you are making a plan as to how you will move forward tomorrow... but do it. Courage is worth it.

Here is our younger two, after Brie finally made it onto the ice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment